Episode 13: How to Find and Maintain Your Motivation When Learning a Language
Welcome to Episode 13 of the Lingua Materna Podcast!
Today, I have a slightly different show for you. In this episode, I’m not joined by a special guest, as usual. Instead, I’m going solo to answer a recent question I received from a listener.
Don’t worry – the interviews will continue on a monthly basis and you can expect to hear from lots of great teachers and polyglots in the coming months.
In this episode, I respond to a question sent in by Safia about motivation. You’ll learn:
- Why motivation is one of the building blocks of learning a language
- Why you need to have a strong motivation from the beginning if you want to learn a language successfully
- How to maintaian your motivation as you continue learning
Make a List
- Take the time to really consider why you want to learn a new language.
- If you don’t have strong motivation, it tends to catch up with you later on.
- There are no right reasons or wrong reasons for learning a language. Choose what’s most relevant to you.
- Even if you’ve already started learning your new language, it’s worth going back and considering what your motivation is
- Put it down on paper (or on your phone or computer in Evernote)
- If you write down what your motivations are, you’re more likely to remember them when the going gets tough.
- Once you have your motivations written down you can refer back to them later on.
Maintaining Your Motivation
- Getting motivated is the easy part, your biggest challenge will be maintaining that motivation
- If you lose your motivation, you’ll spend less and less time practicing the language. And eventually, you’ll just stop practicing at all.
How to Maintain Your Motivation
- Review your list of motivations regularly
- Do activities you enjoy
- Excitement and anticipation are what will keep you coming back over and over again to keep practicing your target language
Personal Motivation Worksheet - Free Download
Strong motivation is the foundation on which your success will be built. This free worksheet will help you take action to identify what motivates you to learn a language.
Why not leave us a review on iTunes?
If you enjoyed this episode, please consider leaving a review on iTunes! These reviews are great feedback and they help me bring the show to a wider audience.